Wednesday 21 September 2011

Martine Noël-Maw: a Quebec writer in Saskatchewan

When I arrived in Saskatchewan it wasn't long before I linked up to the french community. It is odd that so many people are not aware of that community. I have met a lot of people in Saskatchewan who don't know about the Fransaskois and probably even more in Quebec despite the fact that they share the same language.
That said, I would like to introduce a great writer from that community. Her name is Martine Noël-Maw. I heard about her for the first time at a community dinner. A man, let's name him John, told me about her novel Dans le pli des collines (In the Fold of the Hills). The story is set at Fort San and he was very proud that a novel about his beloved region had been published. It sounded like just that would have been enough to make it one of his favorites but on top of that John assured me that it is a great story.
Martine Noël-Maw reading a passage of
Dans le pli des collines at St-Denis (a town near Saskatoon)
I love a good novel and that was a great opportunity to integrate my passion into my part time job. At the time, I was writing  articles for the french newspaper l'Eau vive as a freelance. An article about a local writer was perfect. I will let you discover the book on your own. All I will say is that Sophie, the main character, will make many shocking discoveries as she tries to unearth the past of Fort San. Not long after my review of the book was published in the newspaper, Martine won le Prix du livre français au Saskatchewan Book Awards 2010 for Dans le pli des collines.
I had the chance to meet her for an interview. While we were talking over a cup of coffee and a bagel, she taught me two very down to earth but nonetheless very important lessons. If you don't clear up your schedule you will never write and if you don't have the courage to take the manuscript out of the drawer you will never be published.
Another lesson has been how a place can shape you as an artist. Martine claims that if she hadn't moved to Saskatchewan in 1993, she would probably not be a writer today. Saskatchewan's landscapes are an inspiration. When she drove down Qu'Appelle Valley for the first time, her stories found a place in which to live.

I invite you to visit Martine's website. It includes an english section.
http://www.martinenoelmaw.com/

For all the Montréalais who might be reading this: I know that you think the bagels in Regina are not "real bagels" but that's how they call them here!

No comments:

Post a Comment