Thursday 20 October 2011

English in China

View of West Lake in Hangzhou, China
Today I feel like sharing some information about English publications in China because my friend just told me that her husband is now writing for the Shanghaiist, a magazine in Shanghai.
This post departs a little from the aim of my blog. It is not about writing in Saskatchewan. Yet, I can find surprising links with some aspects of Saskatchewan Literature. There are many minorities who flourish in Saskatchewan. I talk a lot about the Fransakois but there are many other minorities such as the Ukrainians and the Norwegians. English in Saskatchewan is the language of the majority with a very high rate of assimilation into this dominant language.  English publications in China, however, show you a reversal of the situation. It shows you "English" as a minority.
In China, especially in the big eastern cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Hangzhou, there is a vibrant foreigner community. People come to China from everywhere in the world to teach english and study chinese but also to work as engineers, musicians, editors, cooks, university professors, actors and even bakers.
From this community many things grow such as magazines. Those often give news that are relevant to foreigners, review restaurants and announce social events. I have occasionally found in them some creative writing.
Here are some magazines that I am familiar with:

Intouch Zhejianghttp://en.zjol.com.cn/10en/
More Hangzhouhttp://www.morehangzhou.com/
Shanghaiisthttp://shanghaiist.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment