Wednesday 12 October 2011

A Walk in Regina

I came upon this park while walking in Regina. It is a thin but very long stripe of Prairies in the city.
One moment you are surrounded by houses but as soon as you cross those few meters you are in the Prairies. You really get a feel of the open spaces of southern Saskatchewan.







The first element that strike me in this park is the alignment of the trees.
In that part of the park they grow tall and majestic. They take part in the landscape with ease and yet they follow those lines and patterns that can only be man made.








Here the soft light of the evening gives to the trees a peaceful mood.


















Here the trees were planted in a "bunch" thus creating a little heaven for pedestrians when the sun hits hard.















This picture was taken lying down, like for the picture of Anglin Lake. I love the bareness of the tree against the majestic sky. The road and the sky seems to lead to the infinite. This small tree courageously stands next to them.


 Those small branches stand as a reminder of how stubborn a tree can be. They are growing from the remaining of a cut trunk
 Those tall herbs grow around a small water stream.  They grow as tall as some of the trees in the prairies.










The next three pictures show shapes that attracted my notice. Each of those trees grow in a unique way. To me they have as much personality as humans.



This is were I ended my walk. Despite being in the city you feel far away from it. It reminds me of the Chilean Pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo 2010. The theme of that expo was Better City, Better life. What stayed with me after my visit there was that concept the Chileans came with in exploring how to created bigger cities:
To avoid alienation, humans need to stay connected with nature. This is were our roots are. Nature must have its place within the city.

4 comments:

  1. I love what you see in a bunch of trees. My husband has been on a mission to cut down every tree in our yard because he hates them all, and he has managed to convince me that this is a good idea (My excuse: I do the raking and trimming). But you made me see the personality in trees, their uniqueness, their refusal to succumb to being cut down, their determination to stand, bare, against the vastness of land and sky. Those were some really great pictures. I feel amazingly inspired by your pictures of random trees in a Regina park. They look like pictures that would be used on motivational posters. I think "From the Remainder of a Cut Trunk" would be a good title for a story or poem about something or someone who perseveres despite adversity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. You have a lovely appreciation of the trees, even when they seem so few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks For Revealing Your Ideas. Another Thing Is That Individuals Have An Option Between National Student Loan Plus A Private Education Loan Where Its Easier To Choose Student Loan Debt Consolidation Than Through The Federal Student Loan. check this link right here now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sebagai Newbie, saya selalu Menjelajahi Online Untuk Artikel Yang Dapat Bantuan saya. Terima kasih. kunjungan

    ReplyDelete